kjv@Revelation:14:12 @ Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
thread begun by rRandyP
kjv@Matthew:22:15 @ Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk.
kjv@Matthew:22:16 @ And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
kjv@Matthew:22:17 @ Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
kjv@Matthew:22:18 @ But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?
kjv@Matthew:22:19 @ Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.
kjv@Matthew:22:20 @ And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription
kjv@Matthew:22:21 @ They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
kjv@Matthew:22:22 @ When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.
Today's notes: Attack of the Pharisee/Herodians - Tribute
- Before - Wedding invitations
- After - attack of the Sadducee - resurrection
What is man believing/doing?:
- taking counsel
- sending their disciples along with Herodians to perform what had been counseled
- hypocritically tempting Jesus
- leaving marveled
What is making man to believe/do as he is doing?:
- complete aversion to Jesus, they have long sought to halt Jesus, failure of previous attempts
- to give their viewpoint against Jesus the perception of political support from those known to be loyal to the family Herod
- They are saying they know Jesus to be a teacher of truth and not a respecter of persons only so that they can pull the rug from under Him depending on how He answers them
- either their trap had failed not expecting this answer, or that these minions were impressed with how authoritatively He had handled it, or that their trap had worked and Jesus knowing it was a trap still held truth above political advantage
What does this say about our present condition?
- In politics it is all about numbers. You may intend one thing, however to get to where you can do that you need the support of many who would rather you not say or do that against their own interest. If the numbers are not there, then you need to separate you opponent from enough of his/her numbers.
- How many of us today would without hesitation surrender say a third of our needed support for the sake of keeping the truth in play? How about one ninth? one twenty-seventh? one fifty-fourth? Let us reconsider, how many would do so with their own life on the line? especially today when our truth is only relative and not absolute?
index:FAITHOFJESUSDEVOTION - Devotional Index
strkjv@Matthew:22:15-22 rwp@Matthew:22:15-22 mhcc@Matthew:22:15-22
FaithOfJesus2 - Devotion Index